Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Last week

Last week Matt's mom came to visit and to help me with Avery. I was so happy that she was able to come out. I was not sure how it was going to be and she felt the same way. When she first got here I have to admit that I was a little nervous with her being here. I was not sure how she was going to be while she was here. Not sure if she was going to be able to handle being in the house where her middle born son had lived, made his life, and then left back in January. TO my surprise and to her own, she had a great visit.
The first day that she was here was a quit day at the house. My dad dropped her off after picking her up from the airport, got his things together and then left to go back to Kerrville. Donna and I hugged and said our hellos. Avery was sleeping when she arrived. We sat around in the living room talking about little things, not of real importance. Avery then woke up and we went to get her and play with her. As the day went on, our conversation got back to Matt, which we both know it would. We shared our thoughts of what had happened, what we were mad about and why we thoughts things were unfair for this to happend. I shared my thoughts of the accident itself. Just the way that Matt died is hard for me to accept. It was something that did not have to happen at all. When we are little kids, we are taught to not point guns in the direction of other, correct? I hate to admit this, but if Matt were to have gotten into accident because he fell asleep at the wheel, I would have understood that. He was a person that fell asleep very easily. When he wanted to sleep, he would just have to close his eyes and he would be asleep. He always said that the first 30 to 45 min of a trip were the hardest. He would need to pull over for 10 to 15 min and then he could drive all night. Then another thing that could have happened to Matt and it would have been easier to accept was if he was at a chemical plant and there was an accident there, I would have been able to accept that too. I mean, we do not have things like what happened at BP happen all the time, but they do happen. Matt loved his work, and would be out there trying to figue out things if there had been an upset and he would have been trying to solve the problem. He would not put him self in danger, but that is something I could see happening over what did happen.
Donna shared some thoughts with me to. I am choosing not to share what she said because they were not my thoughts and if she wanted them to be public, she would write them out.
Monday was hard on Donna for very good reasons, but I think Avery being at school and me being at work let Donna get some closure being at the house. She was able to work through some things that she was scared to face, but still not willing to accept. Tuesday and Wed I would say really helped her. Avery stayed home with Donna so they could get to know each other. Each day I got home, Donna was holding Avery or on the floor with her playing on the play mat. It was so cute. They bonded and I am so glad that they did. Avery knows both of her grandmothers. They both have taken great care of Avery in their own individual ways. No one is the same. Also, Tuesday my brother came over for a visit. Him and Donna were talking when I got home having a good conversation. When I got home I joined them and Fed Avery. When it was time for my brother to leave, I walked him out and we said out good byes. I told him I loved him and he did the same. Before he closed the door to his car, he got back out and told me to tell Donna that he loved her too! He forgot to tell her before he left so he wanted me to tell her when I went back in. When I got inside, I did tell her. Her face lit up and she was surprised and happy to hear that Grant would say something like that. They did not know each other very well, but the time that they talked and then the more time that the spent together over the weekend when Grant came to visit, they got to know each other. I was very happy for that.
The rest of the week went very well. Donna fed me so I Was able to feed Avery. She helped so much by cleaning the house, doing the laundry and then also taking care of Avery when I needed to get things done myself. Monday Donna went with me and Avery to Avery's 4 month check up. I was glad that she came with me because the last time that I was at the Dr with Avery, Matt was with me. It was 2 days before the accident. While I was in there, and just driving there, I was remembering the last visit. We had a whole list of questions to ask. This time I did not because I have been trying to hard to stay busy around the house, I had not stopped to make the list like I had before. We found out that Avery is 13 lbs, 6 oz and 24 inches long. Growing like a weed and in the 50% for her age, so she is just right!

Donna thank you so much for coming out. I am glad that being here was able to help you and that you did not want to leave. I can not wait for you to come back.

1 comment:

  1. Whitney, Thank you for making me face what I knew I needed to face. I wanted to help you but I did not want to come to your house where Matt always was there. It was like reliving the moment I found out Matt had died. And I did not know if I could hold Avery without thinking of Matt and how much he was missing. His daughter was cooing and beginning to learn to roll over and reaching out to touch my hand. I did hold her and began to bond and enjoyed it. I enjoyed hearing some of the stories you told me of Matt also. I hope I helped you as much as you helped me. Now I can be Grandma to Avery. I didnt want to leave because of Avery and because I felt guilty that I was going back home to a husband and you dont have one now. You dont have a husband you can discuss financial needs or fears of the future. Im looking forward to coming again. Love ya Donna

    ReplyDelete